Friday, January 21, 2011

The Man in the Chair


I stand over him in his electric reclining chair

A book lays open on his stomach

Wrinkled hands are clasped on top of the book

His head is cocked sideways

Headphones attached to his deaf sleeping ears

The train show he watches everyday is playing again

I ache for the days

He takes my hand and walks

Me to the garage (his castle)

Teaching me his ways

Old tools, old trucks, contraptions I

Don’t have a name for

All made with the hands that

Tiredly clasp the book on his stomach

Later in the kitchen

Sun pours through the open windows

A warm breeze drifts over us

He reminisces of war stories

Being on the ship watching them

As they sign the peace treaty

Night air drifts through the window

He is tired

No more stories to tell this day

Walking to the garden

He shuffles

I walk alongside

Holding on to his tired, achy body

Not long ago

The girls picked their pumpkin and

He diligently carved their names on the baby pumpkins

Laid them down gently to grow

Later to be picked when the names look all wrinkly and old

Much like his hands today

A tear escapes my eye as I look at the tired old man

Sitting in his chair

Where I always find him now

Never in the garage

Never in the garden

Never working on a truck or crane

As I wipe the tear from my cheek

The old man in the chair wakes up

He smiles at me

And says, “Bless your heart”

In a voice that sounds like warm doughnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment